Thursday, November 17, 2011

The sugar thing

Have I mentioned how beautiful the roses have been this Spring?


I have been reading with interest Sarah Wilson's e-book I quit sugar.  Sugar, it seems, is evil, and this book explains why and how to kick your sugar habit.  I thoroughly recommend it.

This is probably not the ideal time of year to attempt the 8 week challenge, and I am not even sure that I could completely go without sugar, but it certainly has sharpened my awareness of the dangers of over-doing it.  What I have learned that fat tells you when you're full, sugar doesn't.

Fruit must go if you want to completely eliminate sugar.  Tough one. No fruit is a big call, and before you give it up forever or take fruit out of your kid's lunch boxes, read this article about the benefits of eating fruit.

The hardest thing for me to give up would be all the jams, marmalades, relishes, jellies, sauces and pickles that I put so much energy into making, often after having grown the fruit or vegetables myself.  They are, I have to admit, full of sugar.

I have never been a big sugar junkie, but I do eat fruit, and I do have a square or two of dark chocolate after dinner, make cakes and biscuits for the lunch boxes and I always make a pudding if we have guests.  So I think it would be good for me and my family to be aware of how much we are eating and slowly wean ourselves off it.  Be conscious, read labels. Who would have thought balsamic vinegar had so much sugar?  Make the sugar substitute snacks that Sarah recommends.

Read it and learn.  The good news is that you can have wine!
Sweet peas are still going mad
In an effort to do the right thing I have made mayonnaise as I'm sure commercial varieties have sugar in them.
If you have stick blender this literally takes 20 seconds.  You can do it in a food processor (mix the ingredients then drizzle the oil in slowly) or you can do it by hand which I always think requires some dexterity and a strong arm.

MAYONNAISE

1 egg (room temp)
1 teaspoon mustard (you can use dried or dijon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
a sprinkle of paprika, to taste
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups peanut oil

Place all ingredients into a jug or tall container and using the blade with holes in it whizz for 20 seconds.  Done.



No comments:

Post a Comment