Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fickle autumn weather

This was the haul of tomatoes I picked on Monday.  The bushes are loaded with green tomatoes that just won't ripen, but two days of 38 degrees seemed to get them going.  I don't think I'll get too many this week as it's forecast to be cool.  Today it is 20 degrees and blowing a gale.  I still haven't got enough to make sauce or relish, but I am prepared to be patient.  Is anyone else having the same problem?

I saw a Jamie Olive recipe for plum sorbet with sloe gin and thought I should try it.  Sloes don't grow around here, but they do in Tasmania.  I would love to grow some so I could make my own sloe gin for hunting expeditions.  Instead I used Vinocotto, which was a perfect substitute.

PLUM SORBET WITH VINOCOTTO Serves 4-6

1kg of blood plums
80g castor sugar
50ml vinocotto 

Cut the plums in half and remove the stones.  Put them in a plastic bag and put in the freezer for about 2 hours.
 About 5 minutes before you start, get the plums out to thaw a bit.  Put them in the  food processor with the sugar and vinocotto and whizz until smooth, adding more sugar or vinocotto if you think it needs it.
I then put it into a container and back in the freezer.
Take it out about 5-10 minutes before you intend to serve it.  
Serve with a some berries, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or with some thin ginger biscuits, or just on its own.



No comments:

Post a Comment